Any person or a loved one who has suffered from progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) as a result of taking certain immunosuppressive drugs should contact a PML lawyer. This degenerative, often lethal disease has been shown to result from certain drugs that suppress the immune system. These medications include:
- Tysabri®, to treat multiple sclerosis and Crohn's disease
- Rituxan™, to treat rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Raptiva®, to treat moderate to severe plaque psoriasis
- Transplant medications, to suppress the immune system and prevent the body from rejecting a transplanted organ including CellCept and Myfortic
PML results from an opportunistic infection, meaning an infection that takes advantage of a weakened immune system. The cause, a virus that lies dormant in the great majority of the healthy population, becomes activated when the immune system is compromised and attacks the brain. The virus is called the JC virus, named for the patient from whom it was isolated, John Cunningham.
The symptoms often begin slowly, then rapidly progress. They appear as the different sections of the brain are stricken. These symptoms include:
- Progressive weakness of the arms and legs, often on one side of the body
- Difficulty walking
- Problems with balance
- Difficulty speaking and understanding when spoken to
- Vision problems
- Mental decline
- Personality changes
Compensation is Available
This progressive debilitating disease follows a treacherous downward course, causing increasingly severe disability in its victims. Anyone suffering from this brutal and devastating illness deserves to be compensated for the pain and suffering of their condition. Compensation is available to those who seek the services of a successful PML lawyer. PML lawyers know the severe trajectory of the disease, understand the suffering of its victims, and aggressively pursue just compensation for their clients through a PML lawsuit.
Contact a PML Lawyer Today
Don't hesitate to contact a PML lawyer. Your lawyer will understand your condition and will have the legal knowledge and ability to help you obtain your deserved compensation. He or she will treat you with compassion and fight aggressively to see that you get the reward you deserve.
To schedule a free and confidential evaluation with an experienced and qualified PML attorney, contact us today.